Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Wednesday prompts: 3WW and Poetic Asides


A Taste of Forbidden Fruit

You managed to bring up
ugly politics and brandish
us a fool; at the dinner
table, no doubt. Did you
ever listen to Mother?

@laurie kolp

3WW words- forbid, manage, brandish



Pay Attention in Times Square, Lady

Under a cheap umbrella
I stood in Times Square
when it started to rain
that popped out of nowhere.

I knew you were close
yet lost in the crowd,
ants scurrying about-
dense streets, noise loud.

That’s when I saw you
hurrying along with the flow,
you wore panic well
failed to notice below

a cement pole, waist high
you ‘smack’ ran right into,
must have hurt like hell
but you moseyed on through.

@laurie kolp
 
Poetic Asides

15 comments:

Jae Rose said...

Yes, there are certain things you shouldn't bring to the table..I love your second piece 'you wore panic well'..such a great line..it's so hard sometimes not to hit your head on those poles..harder still to rub your head and acknowledge the thud..Jae

Andy Sewina said...

I like the way you got the words in, love 'Times Square' too!

Sheilagh Lee said...

I love both of these pieces so well written

Cgull said...

I like both poems. In the Dinner Table, I am trying to eat in silence, Buddha says it is healthy. Cheers.

Patchwork Poetry and Parenting said...

Love both poems...the first reminds me of our family at times...the tone of the poem says it all.

Marianne

Unknown said...

This one makes me self-evaluative, Laurie. I've learned never to discuss politics with my siblings and mom. I am on a different planet than they are!

http://www.kimnelsonwrites.com/2011/05/11/words-daggers-and-swords-petite/

anthonynorth said...

Enjoyed both poems. Excellent.

Anonymous said...

Lovely, both are of these are. Nice work, Laurie.

Laurie Kolp said...

Thank you, my friends!

flaubert said...

Love that first poem, Laurie. Some things should not come to the table.

Pamela

Anonymous said...

Two things I was taught not to bring to the table - religion and politics ... that has served me well for peaceful and less stressful meals! Nicely done!

Olivia said...

Very well composed.. both in 2 distinct flavors.. unique and enjoyable..

Hugs xox

Ramona Pyper said...

You have such a pretty and thoughtful blog. I sincerely enjoy your style. And I'm very inspired!

Henry Clemmons said...

As a matter of fact I did listen to my mother, but I don't write novels. Excellents use of the prompts.

Mr. Walker said...

Laurie, I like how you played with taste and fruit - bringing those food associations at the table with conversation - and manners.

Richard