Wednesday, October 27, 2010

November brings challenges

Some of my friends' published books
 As October draws to a close, most people are gearing up for the holidays.  How can you not?  Halloween items have been displayed in some stores since the end of August, and have been marked down already to make room for the Christmas items coming out since the beginning of October! 

All of the festivities and anticipation of the joyous season might have some of you excited and giddy, but not me.  You know why?  November is a very busy month for writers, and I am facing some big deadlines starting in a few days.

You see, November is National Poetry month and National Novel Writing month.  For several years I have participated in Robert Lee Brewer's Poetic Asides Challenge- to write a poem everyday in November (he does another challenge in April).  This challenge is not that great for me anymore, since I already write poems everyday with my Baker's Dozen group of poets from all over the world.  But this month, I am also taking the NaNoWriMo Challenge -to write a book in a month...and in November?  I know, I must be crazy, but I do like a good challenge. 

So as you are festing up for the holidays, please remember me.  I will be furiously pecking away at my computer while the kids are at school and after they go to bed.  Such is the life of a writer. 

4 comments:

Judy Roney said...

You ARE ambicious to take on both challenges in November. A poem a day AND a novel in a month. I will do the Poetic Asides PAD challenge this year and that seems like a lot to me in that busy month but I always aspire to do the NaNoWriMo but I won't take it this year. Too much going on. Sometimes I think taking the challenge is the thing and that not finishing it would be such a failure but if I write several hundred words I haven't written before, that would be accomplishment..I think.
Good luck, I know you will do well and succeed. I'll be one of your cheerleaders! :)

LKHarris-Kolp said...

Thanks, Judy! I'll try... one word at a time! Glad you're doing the PAD challenge... see you there.

Mary said...

I'll see you at the PAD challenge too. I've done it for a few years now. (I might be doing the late night routine with you, as I watch my granddaughter from morn til early evening; but I'm determined.)

Jeni said...

Amazing.... how you do it is a straight gift from God :)!