Saturday, March 6, 2010

A big surprise

I have some very exciting news. But before I tell you what it is, let me explain to you how it all came to be, which I believe was divinely inspired.

Katie was sick quite a bit in January and had to miss several of her dance classes. Apparently while she was absent, a note had gone home about a man from New York that was coming to her studio to speak to the girls and their mothers. I knew nothing about this event until the owner sent out an e-mail about it, reminding those who were going to dress nice and be on time. So I replied and asked her about what it was. She is very busy and did not answer right away. But when she did, I was busy with some deadlines and read the e-mail, then forgot about it.

The day before the man was to come, the secretary called me to tell me what an inspirational speaker he is, and how he talks about believing in yourself and that anything is possible. I decided it might be worth our time, so I asked Katie if she wanted to go and she did. We dressed up and arrived on time (7:00 p.m.).

Let me tell you something- this man, Peter Sklar, was wonderful! He is a Broadway producer and has discovered many stars, such as Sarah Jessica Parker and Reese Witherspoon. He spoke until almost 9:00 and then invited the girls who wanted to be interviewed to stay (moms had to leave the room). Katie REALLY wanted to stay. I knew it was a school night, so I called Pete. He said it would be okay- this is a rare occasion. Well, boy am I glad we did, because Katie was one of the girls who got chosen.

This is where my good news comes in- Katie was selected to attend a summer workshop in New York, where she will study voice, dance and acting. It will be for a week and she will stay in a dorm with the other girls. They have very strict regulations and teach them the benefits of eating healthy (for more energy, not just to be thin) and taking good care of yourself. She will have an adult "trainer" with her at all times.

The whole miracle of this is that we weren't even going to go to the lecture, and now we're going to New York in August. I will stay with my dear friend Jeni for the last part of the week and get to do some fun things, too.

We did not get home until 11:30 that night, and Katie was very tired when she got home from school, but it was so worth it. Thank you, Jesus!

4 comments:

Jeni said...

What a wonderful surprise! It was meant to be.... I'm so excited!! This is a dream come true... ;)!

Jules said...

What a great thing to happen for Katie. She is going to have a great time in NY learning more about her passion. Congrats!

sunnycalgirl said...

What a blessing..We are led by the spirit and neat that you acted on wanting to go/ Never know what God has in store for us...

Peggy C. said...

What great news! That is awesome! Some things are just meant to be.