Friday, February 26, 2010

Gifts

It is our uniqueness that gives freshness and vitality to a relationship.
~Dr. James Dobson

God has shown you His grace in giving you different gifts...So be good servants and use your gifts to serve each other.
~1 Peter 4:10


I went for years unsure of what my "special gift" was. I tried teaching for twelve years(basically because most of the women in my family were teachers of some sort), but never felt like that was my true calling. I became a mother and LOVE being a mom and wife. That job kept me very busy for many years (especially because when I had Nicholas, I had three children under the age of four)- until they started school. Then I had all this empty time in my day while they were away. I can only do laundry and clean house for so long before I feel crazy. I did volunteer at the school for a while until a snobby you-know-what stabbed me in the back and sent me running with my tail between my legs. So I began writing. I had always loved to write stories and poetry as a child. I would spend hours and hours in my room filling notebooks with little stories (chapters and all).

One story stands out in my memory about a girl who had just moved to a beach town. She met a girl on her street and they became friends. They had all kinds of adventures by the beach. Looking back I can see how that story paralleled my life. My family had just moved to another state in an older neighborhood and I was longing for my old neighborhood friends. I guess I took refuge in writing out my fantasies.

Isn't it funny how it took me nearly forty years to find my true calling? Andrew worries about his true calling, or talent as he calls it, and thanks to his teacher he is now doubting his capabilities. Hopefully Andrew can look at me and realize that sometimes it takes a very long time to figure that out. God speaks when He knows you are ready to hear Him.

5 comments:

Jules said...

Amen to that!

I don't think it's strange in any way that it took forty years. I truly believe that no one really knows their calling until later in life. We just tend to fill in the time (until then) doing what we think is right.

Congrats on your life of writing and following not only your calling, but also your gift!

Jeni said...

Wonderful blog Laurie!!! It's never too late or long to find out what we are meant to be.... Remember, it's a journey my friend & what we live through & how we live through makes us who we are!! Love your wisdom ~ Jeni

Peggy C. said...

I believe God has a plan for all of us and you were meant to touch the lives of many in different ways. That is why you wear/have worn the hat of mom, teacher, wife, daughter, and now writer. You have a gift. I consider it an honor to call you my friend.

LKHarris-Kolp said...

Awww- thank you =)

angel said...

When The popular comment layout is common, so it is easily recognized scanning to post a comment. If the comment section is in a different format, then I am going to spend more time trying to decipher what everything means.

degree home