Friday, May 29, 2009

What's Been Going On...

There are a few recurring topics on this blog that I would like to update you on. Things have been extremely busy around here for the...well, since I became a mother of three, but especially at the end of the school year these past couple of weeks. I wish I had time to write more frequently, but there are simply not enough hours in the day to get everything accomplished. So, here's the latest:

1. My dizzy problem- I went back to my ENT doctor the other day to go over the results of the MRI. He said everything looked fine and there are no tumors (thank you Lord). The doctor said he is treating me for Meniere's disease and that I might also have migraine-associated vertigo, which sometimes goes along with Meniere's. Since I've had this basically all my life and some of the tests were positive for Meniere's, that is how he made his diagnosis. But we still won't know for sure until I can more accurately document my symptoms before and during each episode. For example, stress, diet and allergies can cause the dizziness. I do know one thing- I tend to get this when I am overly exhausted and stressed. I guess only time will tell. Until then, please pray for me. We are leaving Sunday to go to Disney World for a few days, and I would hate to wake up dizzy that morning. In fact, I'm thinking about just staying up, since we have to leave for the Houston airport at 4:00 AM. When I had my hysterectomy, I woke up dizzy and we still had to go. The walk from my car to the hospital entrance took us forever because I was so dizzy and throwing up so much from it. But the nurses gave me some medicine and it helped. I want that medicine!

2. Ms. Angelle- She is as spunky as ever! Ninety-four and still going strong, although moving much more slowly. She went to Katie's dance recital and thoroughly enjoyed watching it, although some of her comments really revealed the huge generation gap. Pete, the boys and my mom sat with her because I had to help Katie so much. Ms. Angelle is very outspoken, and apparently she voiced her opinion periodically. Think about it, she grew up in the days when a girl would never be caught dead prancing around on stage in skimpy clothes. But she enjoyed watching Katie nonetheless.
I also took Ms. Angelle shopping recently. The Dillards here had some significant hurricane damage and has been remodeled. Ms. Angelle worked there in the china department eons ago and wanted to check it out. (Ironically, I worked at Dillards all through high school and college, transferring to the College Station one and then working at this one during holidays and summers, but I don't remember her). I don't shop at the mall much anymore (much to Pete's delight), so I wasn't familiar with which door I should park by that would be close to the elevator. Wouldn't you know I would pick the side farthest away? She huffed and puffed just walking that much. When I take her to Sam's she uses a wheelchair, but the clueless clerk misinformed us when she said Dillards did not have a wheelchair. We later found out they do, and boy was Ms. Angelle hot! Anyway, we had to sit for a while and rest in the shoe department before we headed upstairs to her favorite department- the kitchen ware. She had a great time, but had to sit down and rest. Poor thing got so discouraged.
"I won't be walking by the time I'm ninety-five," she said, head hung down.
"That's what you said about ninety-four and look at you. You'll be fine," I answered encouragingly.
"Really?" She sounded hopeful.
So we ended up having lunch at Applebee's, which she thoroughly enjoyed, and then I took her home. Next time we will use the wheelchair.
Enough of me...what's been going on with you?

1 comment:

Jeni said...

I'm really glad you are doing what you have to for your dizzy prob. You are such a wonderful person - Ms. Angelle is lucky to have you, your love, your encouragement, your patience and sincerity. Good deeds from a pure heart. Love you. Thanks for the update.